Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Butterbeer

I was browsing through websites looking for recipes, and I came upon this one--can't wait to try making it for myself! It's from Fox News.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BUTTERBEER
Start to finish: 1 hour (10 minutes active)
Servings: 4

Ingredients:
1 cup light or dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons water
6 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
3/4 cup heavy cream, divided
1/2 teaspoon rum extract
Four 12-ounce bottles cream soda

In a small saucepan over medium, combine the brown sugar and water. Bring to a gentle boil and cook, stirring often, until the mixture reads 240 F on a candy thermometer.

Stir in the butter, salt, vinegar and 1/4 heavy cream. Set aside to cool to room temperature.

Once the mixture has cooled, stir in the rum extract.

In a medium bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar mixture and the remaining 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Use an electric mixer to beat until just thickened, but not completely whipped, about 2 to 3 minutes.

To serve, divide the brown sugar mixture between 4 tall glasses (about 1/4 cup for each glass). Add 1/4 cup of cream soda to each glass, then stir to combine. Fill each glass nearly to the top with additional cream soda, then spoon the whipped topping over each.

19 comments:

Jayde_MW said...

Can this be used with margarine or another substitute for butter?

jtmcallister3 said...

very good butterbeer!

Yaytez said...

This one was horrid compared to the Butterbeer at Universal. UGH!

Anonymous said...

I have made this twice now and it gets better everytime! Another comment below or above mine says it wasn't as good as the one in universal. I have had the one in universal. This one, if made right, which I have, it taste identical to the one there but even fresher because it is homemade! So try it.

Potter said...

I just made this and it tastes vial wouldn't make it again if anyone can give me another recipe I'd be over the moon but with this one no I wouldnt make it again

Anonymous said...

I am going to try this for my birthday... hope it's good!!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Worried whether to actually make this due to mixed reviews :/ :L

Anonymous said...

The butterbeer tasted just like the kind in universal

V.I. islandgal on the rise!!! said...

Sounds tasty, I'll give it a go!!!!

Anonymous said...

I would give it a go and when it's not good try again one more time because you might have done something wrong

Lukas said...

Hey, thank you very much for this recipe! :)

Anonymous said...

To those who have tried this one and didn't like it try the recipe that's on muggnet.com, have made and tried that one a dozen times and its really good

Anonymous said...

A recipe from Fox News? I'll pass, thanks.

Anonymous said...

The butterbeer was delicious! Although next time I would make it little bit less sweet.

Riikka Enne said...

Thanks so much for all your recipes! This is my favorite butterbeer recipe so far! I thought that as a major Potter fan you might be interested in this: www.mudbloodmovie.com

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love Harry Potter & cn Hermione drk it made me wana try it, so 4 da holidays ill b havin butterbeer instead of egg nog

Elizabeth J. Neal said...

I wasn't going to give up my search quite yet, I knew there had to be a recipe out there somewhere just finding it was another story. scotcharoos

Pam Mason said...

Delicious. Made this for friends and family who are all HUGE Harry Potter fans ( and all have been to the park and tasted it there). Some said it was even better than the one at Universal. Those who posted negative reviews maybe didn't make it correctly? We loved it!